Banana toffee pudding
Serves 8Cooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
ripe bananas, 4 large
brown sugar, 1½ cups
butter, 125g, softened
self-raising flour, 1 cup
plain flour, ½ cup
buttermilk, ¾ cup
ice-cream, to serve
thickened cream, 300ml carton
brown sugar, ½ cup
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 22cm round cake pan. Thinly slice 2 bananas diagonally. Mash remaining bananas. Sprinkle pan base with ½ cup brown sugar. Arrange sliced bananas over.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and remaining sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Fold in sifted combined flours, mashed banana and buttermilk. Spoon mixture evenly into pan. Bake 55-60 minutes.
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan on medium. Add cream and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat, simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Serve pudding warm with ice-cream, drizzled with sauce.
- Add some chopped walnuts or dates to the pudding mixture for added flavour and texture.