Milk-braised pulled pork
Serves 4Cooking time:
More than 2 hoursCourse: Lunch
, MainFavourite flavours: Pork
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
olive oil, 1 tablespoon
skinless, boneless pork neck,
1.5kg piece, rolled
red onion, 1, sliced
lemon thyme, 5 sprigs
bay leaves, 2
garlic, 2 cloves, peeled, roughly chopped
milk, 2½ cups
lemon, 4 strips peel
creamy polenta, steamed green beans, baby carrots, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C.
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof saucepan on high. Season pork to taste. Cook 10 minutes, turning to brown well all over. Remove from pan.
- Saute onion, thyme, bay leaves and garlic in same pan 3-4 minutes. Add milk and lemon peel. Bring to a simmer. Return pork to pan.
- Bake, covered, 3 hours, until pork is very tender. Cool slightly.
- Remove pork from pan. Discard any string and extra fat. Using 2 forks, shred meat. Serve with creamy polenta (see tip), beans and carrots.
- Pulled pork’ is pork tender enough to pull apart. Serve with strained, skimmed cooking juices.
- Set aside 2 cups of pork before serving to make a second lunch or dinner with one of our other ideas on opposite page.
- For creamy polenta, bring 2 cups stock, 2 cups milk and 60g butter to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce to a simmer. Slowly whisk in 1 cup polenta, stirring constantly 10-15 minutes, until polenta comes away from sides of pan. Turn off heat and stir in ½ cup grated parmesan. Season to taste.