Mum's hummingbird cake
Serves 10 or moreCooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
self-raising flour, 1 cup
ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon
bicarbonate of soda, ¼ teaspoon
desiccated coconut, ¾ cup
pecans, chopped, ¾ cup
dark brown sugar, 2/3 cup
vegetable oil, ½ cup
eggs, 2, lightly beaten
crushed pineapple, 440g can, drained
banana, mashed, ¾ cup
icing sugar mixture, 1½ cups
butter, 20g, melted
lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
hot water, 1 tablespoon
pineapple flowers, edible fresh flowers, to serve (see tips)
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease an 8-cup bundt cake pan. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Sift flour, cinnamon and soda together into a large bowl. Mix coconut, pecans and sugar in well.
- In a medium jug, whisk oil and eggs together. Stir into dry ingredients with pineapple and banana until well combined. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pan 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ICING Sift icing sugar into a large bowl. Add butter, juice and water, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over top edge of cooled cake, allowing to drip down sides. Just before serving, arrange pineapple (see tip) and edible flowers over icing and around base of cake.
- To make pineapple flowers, slice pineapple very thinly (on a mandolin) and cut into rounds. Place on an oven rack and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons caster sugar.
Bake in a slow oven, 120°C, 1½ hours until dry. Transfer to mini muffin pans or an empty egg carton, scrunching to create flower shapes. Allow to dry. Use as required. Replace flowers with drizzled fresh passionfruit pulp, if preferred.
Fresh edible flowers, such as violets, are often available in miniature punnets from large green grocers, or ask your local shop to order some in for you.